Thursday, November 13, 2014

Networking

Networking is a very important skill that every entrepreneur must have. While in Atlanta, we went to the Atlanta Tech Village and listened to many 3 minute pitches.  Afterwards, there was always time to network with all the entrepreneurs at the event. This was my first real experience, and it was kind of scary.  The worst part was trying to end a conversation.  I found this article on Entrepreneur Magazine.com that how to end a networking conversation. It gives 5 main tips.

1. Pull in another person to the discussion.
2. Use a common excuse.
3. Ask for a business card.
4. Introduce the rambler to another acquaintance.
5. Take control of the conversation.

I personally like option three. This way you can stay in touch with that person. You never know if someone you meet could a potential mentor or business partner.  However, if the person you are talking to is not talking about anything you are interested in, then I suggest option 2. I also would like to add an option, and option 6. Just say, "Well, It was really nice meeting you." and shake their hand. I did this many times during these sessions.  All in all, I had a wonderful time and feel a lot more comfortable in networking situations.

No comments:

Post a Comment