Wednesday, March 18, 2015

On the Edge Chapter 4

Chapter 4
Friends in High Places
This chapter really taught me about the importance of networking.  
The first thing Levine does when she gets to base camp is to go introduce herself to the other teams. People are more willing to help people they know.  She gave the example of climbers leaving an injured climber to die on summit day.  She talked about an instance where a lone climber was left for dead by others because they did not know him.  Another example is where a man saw a guy that he met at base camp and gave up his chance to reach the summit to save the other man’s life.  

“Think about who you may need to call on for help at some point, and make sure you have relationships in place before you need the help.”

“ There are time in life where you have to step up --- even if you feel like you aren't ready.”

Levine talks about how she got her corporate sponsor, Ford.  If she would not have maintained her college network, she would have never had a friend who worked at Ford who could send her proposal to executives.

The statement “people are more willing to help people they know” really resignated with me.  I am usually a little nervous about networking especially with adults.  I now know if I do not put myself out there, I could miss out on an opportunity of a lifetime.  

No comments:

Post a Comment